Oak Desk Project *UPDATE* Hutch is done!

A current project I am working on involves a desk w/ hutch using oak and oak laminate plywood. I'm going with a Roman Ogee moulding theme for the hutch crown and stands, and possibly use a 1/4" x 1/2" ogee moulding to add depth to the cabinet doors. Pictures are not in sequence or in any particular order (I tend to forget to take pictures when my mind is so tuned in on the project itself!).


Sorry no pictures of the cutting process, but I can tell you it involved two trips to the hardware store to purchase 3 new (60 and 80 teeth) saw blades. Finish plywood almost certainly needs 80 teeth or it will chew the wood up.


After cutting the boards,"Stain first!", is my personal motto. As glue tends to ruin finish areas, if you don't.


Sherry found "Mr. Plywood" online. I had never heard of the place and promptly paid the store a visit. What a godsend! If you live in Portland, OR and need lumber or moulding, forget Home Depot or Lowes, visit this place, you won't be sorry. I found the red oak paneling you see being used as the backing. I couldn't find this anywhere (i.e. Parr Lumber, Home Depot, or Lowes).


Different angle. The lighting tends to wash-out the actual color of the wood.


Hutch cabinet doors. I found some rough cut oak boards at Mr. Plywood for "half" the price of standard oak boards at Home Depot. Lowes is even higher. I used the router to make my borders. Turned out great!




The entire front of the hutch now has real oak facings.


Roman ogee moulding crowns the hutch and the boots


Crown.



Boots







The backside.


First door goes on. It needs some depth!


This is beaded ogee (above picture) I was thinking of keeping it the same as the crown and stands only smaller (1/4" x 1/2")


One cabinet door on...


Both cabinet doors on...


Getting close to completion.


CD rack


CD rack inserted. (Don't mind the dust!)


CD racks and door moulding (decided to go with half moon).


MInus have the shell (oil bronzed) pulls added to the cabinet doors (when they get here) and having the felt boots glued on. The hutch is pretty much done. I went with the half moon moulding on the doors, simply because I ran out of time and needed to move forward to stay on track with the desk.


CD racks are done and installed.


Wow! It turned out so nice. I'd pat myself on the back but the desk construction awaits me!

List of remaining things to do on the hutch:


  1. Router CD rack inserts, glue and install.

  2. Lay out moulding (half moon) on cabinet doors. Stain and varnish.

  3. Putty all small gaps. Stain and varnish.

  4. Glue felt fabric to bottom of hutch "boots". (will be done today - 8/21)

  5. Add shell pulls. (oiled bronze finish) ***Still awaiting UPS delivery***

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Plywood Stool